Thursday, July 15, 2010

Nice-Matin Interviews Charlene Wittstock

Your engagement was officially announced June 23, 2010, how do you feel?
I feel great joy and emotion as you can imagine. I know it is an important moment for the people of Monaco. I’ll do anything to be worthy of its expectations.
You imagine yourself already in your role as Princess?
For over four years, I learned about Monaco, its different populations – there are over 124 nationalities – and I really love this country. I’m still better appreciate its specificities, its traditions, its history. But deep in my heart, it is my country already.
What struck you most arriving in Monaco?
I think I was very fortunate to discover in Monaco alongside the person who knows best (smile). But above all his incredible openness to the world and its incomparable generosity. I know that the country in Europe which gives the most per capita for humanitarian causes. This spirit of generosity is the first characteristic of the population and the many actions that are taken can only give pride to residents.
Do you intend to invest in a humanitarian cause, a foundation?
Since my teens, I have been busy sharing what I could do. In South Africa, when I was very young, I used to help disadvantaged children learn to swim. I really got from them. At this point I realized that giving was the most beautiful gesture that we can do. In Monaco, I want to get involved in defending a cause dedicated to children and in which sport has its place.
We saw you next to Nelson Mandela and more recently you have supported Mandela Day. What does this mean to you?
I remember back in 1995 during the Rugby World Cup in South Africa, Nelson Mandela was on the ground with a polo Springbok representing unity and freedom within our country. The same year, he launched the Children Foundation. I was then 17 years old. I admire Nelson Mandela for his courage, he changed the course of history. The suffering he has borne makes him a unique person. This is why I am so proud of my contribution to the Fund of Nelson Mandela. However, the work is just beginning and he has many things to do.
What is the importance of organizing the World Cup Soccer in South Africa?
This is the first time in history that Africa receives a global event as important and I am very happy.
What relationships do you have with your family?
We are a very united family. Gareth, Sean [her brothers] and myself have been educated with the same values, those that sport has given us. This gave us a lot of balance. Sport is a family heirloom: my uncle led the Springboks team and my mother was a high level sport. It was a simple family life, healthy, with strong links between us. This is very structured.
What are the passions that you share with Prince Albert?
Priority, that of sport is that it allowed us to know ourselves. But we’re both philanthropists, we like to go to meet others, we have the same interest in understanding what is happening in the world and the same willingness to help others. But we also have subjects on which we do not agree!
Which?
Let me protect my secret garden …
You now have an official status, what is different for you today?
I am aware of the responsibilities imposed on me that my official status. I will continue to familiarize myself with the daily habits and customs of the Principality, the protocol and rules of the Palace to prepare myself to best accomplish the mission confided to me that the prince is at my side.


Vos fiançailles ont été officiellement annoncées le 23 juin 2010, que ressentez-vous ?
Je ressens beaucoup de joie et d’émotion comme vous pouvez l’imaginer. Je sais aussi que c’est un moment important pour la population monégasque . Je ferai tout pour être digne de ses attentes.
Vous imaginez-vous déjà dans votre rôle de Princesse ?
Depuis plus de quatre ans, j’ai appris à connaître Monaco, ses différentes populations – il y a plus de 124 nationalités – et j’aime vraiment ce pays. Je dois encore mieux apprécier ses spécificités, ses traditions, son histoire. Mais au fond de mon cœur, c’est déjà mon pays.
Qu’est-ce qui vous a le plus frappé en arrivant en Principauté ?
Je crois que j’ai eu la grande chance de découvrir Monaco aux côtés de la personne qui le connaît le mieux (sourire). Mais c’est avant tout son incroyable ouverture sur le monde et son incomparable générosité. Je sais que c’est le pays en Europe qui donne le plus par habitant pour les causes humanitaires. Cet esprit de générosité est la première caractéristique de la population et les nombreuses actions qui sont menées ne peuvent que donner de la fierté aux habitants.
Avez-vous l’intention de vous investir dans une cause humanitaire, une fondation ?
Depuis mon adolescence, je n’ai eu de cesse de partager ce que je savais faire. En Afrique du Sud, très jeune, j’aidais les enfants déshérités à apprendre à nager. J’ai beaucoup reçu de leur part. C’est à ce moment-là que j’ai compris que donner était le plus beau geste que l’on puisse faire. À Monaco, je souhaite m’investir dans la défense d’une cause dédiée aux enfants et dans laquelle le sport aura toute sa place.
On vous a vu à côté de Nelson Mandela et plus récemment vous avez soutenu la Mandela Day. Qu’est-ce que cela représente pour vous ?
Je me rappelle qu’en 1995, pendant la Coupe du Monde de Rugby, en Afrique du Sud, Nelson Mandela était sur le terrain avec un polo des Springboks représentant l’unité et la liberté à l’intérieur de notre pays. La même année, il a lancé la Children Foundation. J’avais alors 17 ans. J’admire Nelson Mandela pour son courage, il a changé le cours de l’histoire. La souffrance qu’il a supportée fait de lui une personne unique. C’est pourquoi je suis si fière d’apporter ma contribution au Fonds de Nelson Mandela. Cependant, le travail ne fait que commencer et il reste tant de choses à faire.
Quelle est l’importance de l’organisation de la Coupe du Monde de Football en Afrique du Sud ?
C’est la première fois dans l’histoire que l’Afrique reçoit un événement mondial aussi important et j’en suis très heureuse.
Quels rapports entretenez-vous avec votre famille ?
Nous sommes une famille très unie. Gareth, Sean et moi-même avons été éduqués avec les mêmes valeurs, celles que le sport nous a données. Cela nous a apporté beaucoup d’équilibre. Le sport est un héritage familial : mon oncle entraînait l’équipe des Springboks et ma mère était une sportive de haut niveau. C’était une vie familiale simple, saine, avec entre nous des liens forts. Ce qui est très structurant.
Quelles sont les passions que vous partagez avec le prince Albert ?
Prioritairement, celle du sport, c’est elle qui nous a permis de nous connaître. Mais nous sommes tous les deux des personnes philanthropes, nous aimons aller à la rencontre des autres, nous avons le même intérêt pour comprendre ce qui se passe dans le monde et la même volonté à aider les autres. Mais nous avons aussi des sujets sur lesquels nous ne sommes pas d’accord !
Lesquels?
Laissez-moi protéger mon jardin secret…
Vous avez désormais un statut officiel, qu’est-ce qui est différent pour vous aujourd’hui ?
J’ai conscience des responsabilités que mon statut officiel m’impose. Je vais continuer à me familiariser chaque jour avec les us et coutumes de la Principauté, le protocole et les règles du Palais afin de me préparer au mieux à accomplir la mission que le Prince me confiera à ses côtés.

2 comments:

  1. Was this her first official interview? She seems to have an understanding of her new role. I hope she widens her defense of children beyond just using sports to reach them. I adopted two abused children and I know that sports would not have reached them. It actually was the arts.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. First official interview that I know of. There have been a few exchanges in the past but rarely a formal interview. She was also with Prince Albert when he gave an interview in Vancouver during the Olympics in which she spoke up quite often. As far as her charitable work, I think she was just stating that as the background she comes from, I'm sure she will be doing more in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...